On Monday, February 6th at 7:00 pm ten people from across Alcona County met at the Harrisville Holistic Center to discuss the idea of forming a county-wide organization called the "ALCONA PROGRESSIVE ALLIANCE".
According to "Dictionary.com", the definition of " Progressive" is
/prəˈgrɛsɪv/ Show Spelled[pruh-gres-iv] adjective
1. favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, especially in political matters: a progressive mayor.
2. making progress toward better conditions; employing or advocating more enlightened or liberal ideas, new or experimental methods, etc.: a progressive community.
3.characterized by such progress, or by continuous improvement.
4. ( initial capital letter ) of or pertaining to any of the Progressive parties in politics.
5. going forward or onward; passing successively from one member of a series to the next; proceeding step by step.
6. noting or pertaining to a form of taxation in which the rate increases with certain increases in taxable income.
7. of or pertaining to progressive education: progressive schools.
8. Grammar . noting a verb aspect or other verb category that indicates action or state going on at a temporal point of reference.
9. Medicine/Medical . continuously increasing in extent or severity, as a disease.
10. noun - a person who is progressive or who favors progress or reform, especially in political matters.
11. ( initial capital letter ) a member of a Progressive party.
12. Grammar .
the progressive aspect.
a verb form or construction in the progressive, as are thinking in They are thinking about it. "
Following introductions, the attendees received handouts from organizer, Paul Peterson, and discussed the feasability of taking formal steps to create a " progressive" organization. A wide ranging discussion ensued where diverse viewpoints and ideas were discussed. It became apparent that a concensus existed that a progressive organization could be of value to the Alcona area.
The idea is to create a welcoming environment within which people with varying viewpoints can recognize progress in Alcona County when and where it occurs, solicit public input on diverse topics and, by using a consensus methodology, develop positions on local, regional and national current events issues which are of concern or interest to the group in general and the public at large.
It was decided that the group will meet again on Monday, February 20th at the Harrisville EMS station on M-72 at 7:00 p.m. to begin work on developing a statement of purpose. The meeting is open to all who are interested.